Tuesday, June 16, 2009

Catching Up with Chellsie Memmel

06/10/2009
Chellsie Memmel was a member of the 2008 U.S. Olympic Team that won the team silver medal in Beijing, China. At the 2006 World Championships, Memmel helped her team earn the silver medal, but had to withdraw from the all-around and individual event finals due to a shoulder injury. She missed most of 2007 while recovering from that injury. At the 2005 World Championships, Memmel became the first U.S. woman to win the all-around gold medal since Shannon Miller in 1994. She also finished second on both the uneven bars and balance beam.


Memmel burst into the spotlight in 2003 when she was named to the Pan American Games Team and won five medals, including team and all-around gold. An alternate to the 2003 World Championships Team, she was placed into the lineup after injuries and illness to three team members. Memmel played a vital role in securing the team gold medal, earning the highest all-around marks of any team member during team finals. She went on to tie with teammate Hollie Vise as the world uneven bars co-champion.
USA Gymnastics recently caught up with Chellsie to see what she has been doing since she returned from China.


What is your favorite memory from China?Probably standing on the awards stand with the other girls. That was amazing. We went through a lot of hardship there, a lot of injuries, but we still pulled it together and came home with the silver.
How has life changed since the Olympic Games?There’s a little more recognition. I did the tour and then have been traveling a little bit on the weekends to do appearances. But other than that, it’s just kind of quiet.


What has been your favorite thing you have done since the Olympic Games?I think the tour has been my favorite. It was just totally different from anything I’ve ever done. We were able to be relaxed and more at ease instead of totally focused on the competition. It brought everyone closer, which was really cool.


Have you had a break since you returned from the Olympic Games?
I went to Mexico in January with my sister and one of our friends from the gym.
What are your plans for the rest of 2009?I would still like to compete this year, so my plans are to get back into training and into shape. My ankle still is not fully healed, but it just needs rest.


Did being an alternate on the 2004 Olympic Team motivate you during the following four years to make the 2008 team?
That was a huge part of my wanting to make the Olympic Team because I was an alternate in 2004. That’s why I stuck around, because I wanted to be ON the team.


What was your timeline to get ready for the 2008 Olympic Team Trials?
We put together a plan after the Visa Championships in 2007 when I didn’t make the World (Championships) Team. We went back home and put together a training plan that spaced things out a little bit more for me to be ready for the Games.


Of all the places to which you have traveled, what has been your favorite?
It’s difficult. I definitely loved Hawaii when we did a competition there, and I’m also a big fan of Europe.


What do you like most about gymnastics?
I like everything. I love competing and representing my country – that’s probably the most fun that I have. I like training, too, and learning new skills. I like all of it!


What is your favorite childhood gymnastics memory?
I just remember running around the gym and having fun. Just kind of throwing skills here and there and playing around.


You bought a house in 2008. What’s it like being on your own?
I like being out on my own. It’s just a place I can go to relax and not have anything around me, just be on my own time. In the gym, I’m with my entire family so when I go home, I have time for myself. But I still spend a lot of time with my family. I think it’s a good balance for me.


Have you thought much about your plans for after you retire from competitive gymnastics?
After I retire, I definitely want to go to school. I put that off to train and travel so I could focus. I want to go to school and not worry about the training and traveling schedules.


Do you have any schools in mind?
I do think I would want to stay close to home. There are some great colleges really close. If not, I can always start here and transfer somewhere else if I wanted to.


Do you know what you want to study?
No, not really. I’ll start out with all the general classes, but probably something with business. If I do end up working at the gym or taking over eventually, that would be a good degree to have.

USA Gymnastics is the National Governing Body (NGB) for the sport of gymnastics in the United States, consistent with the Amateur Sports Act of 1978,the Constitution of the United States Olympic Committee and the International Gymnastics Federation. The mission of USA Gymnastics is to encourage participation and the pursuit of excellence in all aspects of gymnastics.USA Gymnastics, 132 E. Washington St., Suite700, Indianapolis, IN 46204Phone: 317-237-5050; Fax: 317-237-5069; Member Services: 1-800-345-4719

No comments: